Every day, I share most interesting links, quotes, insights that I come across. Here is today’s scoop –
1) Good article about e-commerce website usability by Greg Nudelman – The Mystery of Filtering by Sorting. Main takeaways for me are as follows –
- Most users do not have clear understanding of the difference between sorting and filtering. They use sort function as if it’s a filter.
- we should lay out search controls in such a way that users can read their settings as an English sentence. e.g. Search [–text box–] in [–categories drop down–] sort by [–sort option drop down–]
- On e-commerce website search results, most users don’t go beyond first screen full, i.e. they don’t even scroll down. Many of them don’t go beyond first page. Almost nobody goes to third page. The more no. of search results fit in first page and first screen full, comfortably, the better.
2) A very good article about how to come up with new entrepreneurial ideas. What a Pain.In.The.Ass. Chris Oleary has a simple but powerful thought.
3) The dark side of entrepreneurship. Accounting is very important in any business. Always be extra-cautious, do your homework, be lean, save a stash of money which can be used in hard times. Better to be prepared than being caught off-guard. Finally, entrepreneurship is not just about BIG REWARDS, but also about RISK which has to precede rewards.
What did you learn today? Can you please share with me?